Thursday, June 11, 2009

Just a phone call away

Someone asked me this question less than a week ago.

"Which of your friends do you least keep in touch with, after your SPM?"

At that point, the only name I could ever think of, and it was non other than Ho Kar Fei.




(This is Kar Fei holding a "lightsaber")


There are so many things happening in High School and most of it is because of friends. I consider Kar Fei as the catalyst of me getting close to the rest of the gang. Towards the end of 2005, Kar Fei was the person I got stuck with.


But, I guess it was in 2006 when the both of us was in the same class (3 Amanah), that we became close friends. I sat next to him in the class and I can't forget the those times. We talked so much of grandmother stories.. Always talking and making noise in the class.. Even got canned for being busy bodies.. hahaha.. Now when I come to think of it, I was because of Fei that I hang out more with the Chinese.




Back in those days, I remember talking with Kar Fei on the phone for hours. Yes Hours! We used the same DiGi line and we could never get bored of talking to each other on the phone. I would call Kar Fei if I had those problems as a teenager when you can't decide which is right and wrong and so on. Kar Fei had that brotherly attitude for me. I had always appreciated him for that and in return I was there when he needed me.



Like any best friends, there was always going to be complications and problems. Kar Fei and I, we argued, we fought, we didn't speak to each other for a certain period of time, we ignored each other, but that was always going to be temporary right?



In the end, we would apologize and make up for our silliness.



Came a time after PMR, when I was given the Science class and he was given the Accounts class.
Since then, it is truthful to say that the both of us did not continue that same bond of friendship again.



Maybe, the first few months was OK. But after sometime, Kar Fei started hanging out with his classmates more and he had his priorities towards work. Whereas, I was also with my classmates and the other Science students. I had more responsibilities to my Curricular activities.



But we never completely ignored each other. It was just difficult to meet or hang out with our different schedules and unpredictable timing.





It was probably during the Merdeka Show that Kar Fei and I got the chance to actually sit and talk like before. That was probably why that Merdeka Show was so memorable. I had the chance to be with my friends, spend almost the whole day with them till at night. Personally, it was a dream becoming reality.




Hahaha.. great times..

Then came THAT YEAR, 2008.This was the most intensive year of High School life. With the pressure of SPM on our thoughts and with our parents and teachers pestering us to do well, it wasn't really a relaxing time. Honestly, that Merdeka thing had effected us in a way, that we just didn't want to study anymore.

So, there was alot to brush up and more extra classes to make up for it. Once again, Kar Fei and I didn't really got to see or talk much with each other. We would be seen together in the canteen, eating our meals. Other than that, we didn't really talk much. Sometimes I would make attempts to try to sit and talk with him, but it seemed like we didn't really got much to talk about anymore. It was sad in a way la. I gotta say that I felt it was because of the fact that he hang out with the wrong people, that he began to become more attached to them and probably left me out. But I could not blame him or his friends, I know it wasn't easy.

It was only during SPM, the day of examination, when he sat down and asked for assistance. I was amazed that he actually managed to remember almost all of the novel in less than an hour. It was fun. I really gave him silly situations that made him remember the whole thing by heart.

It was after taking the results when I last saw or heard from him for a long time. I smsed him just recently. I tried to made a day we could go out, but in the end tak jadi.

This was what he had to reply



"Its ok dude, as long as we keep in touch, i'm hapi enuf"

Good news was that Choon Liong planned an outing on Sunday and managed to get Fei to come. I called Kar Fei to reaffirm. That phone call I made lasted a long time. We actually managed to talk and laugh so much.

After that phone call, i had this urge to see him and engage more conversation with him.


(Fei, Mon and Kai Tjun)


Sometimes I'm amazed with what one phone call could do. It happened in many occasions and every time it happened, it was because I made it happen. It was just a phone call away.



Sometimes when I actually call or sms someone after a long time, I'm just worried that I'm actually interrupting them. That's the reason why I decided not to engage any conversation with anyone. All I do is just send greetings or something that i feel is worth sharing and hope that they response.



I felt like I pushed Kar Fei too far that I almost forgot that he was there. But I have never wanted my friendship with anyone to end just like that. I always appreciated the people who are/were/was/and will be close to me. They might not know, but I do care for them. Each and every one of them.

0 people cares: